[extropy-chat] Foreign Policy on teh future

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:02:56 UTC 2005

Interesting 35th anniversary Foreign Policy
articles<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3158>on
future change and the world in 2040..
Albert Einstein claimed he never thought of the future. "It comes soon
enough," he said. *FOREIGN POLICY* decided to not grant 16 leading thinkers
that luxury. Instead, to mark our 35th anniversary, we asked them to
speculate on the ideas, values, and institutions the world takes for granted
that may disappear in the next 35 years. Their answers range from fields as
diverse as morals and religion to geopolitics and technology. We may be
happy to see some of these "endangered species" make an exit, but others
will be mourned. All of them will leave a mark.
The Sanctity of
Life<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3159> By
Peter Singer - Political
Parties<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3160> By
Fernando Henrique Cardoso - The
Euro<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3161> By
Christopher Hitchens - Japanese
Passivity<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3164> -
By Shintaro Ishihara - Monogamy
<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3170> By Jacques
Attali- Religious
Hierarchy<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3172> By
Harvey Cox - The Chinese Communist
Party<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3174> By
Minxin Pei Auto
Emissions<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3175> By
John Browne - The Public
Domain<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3176> By
Lawrence Lessig - Doctors'
Offices<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3178> By
Craig Mundie - The King of
England<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3179> By
Felipe Fernández-Armesto - The War on
Drugs<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3181> By
Peter Schwartz - Laissez-Faire
Procreation<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3183>
By
Lee Kuan Yew - Polio<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3184>
By
Julie L. Gerberding -
Sovereignty<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3185>
By
Richard N. Haass -
Anonymity<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3188> By
Esther Dyson.
Some articles are available to free registered users, others only to paying
subscribers. From Singer's article (available in full text):: When the
traditional ethic of the sanctity of human life is proven indefensible at
both the beginning and end of life, a new ethic will replace it. It will
recognize that the concept of a person is distinct from that of a member of
the species Homo sapiens, and that it is personhood, not species membership,
that is most significant in determining when it is wrong to end a life.