[extropy-chat] A few points of interest for future historians

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Wed Sep 28 14:36:31 UTC 2005

Marc Geddes wrote:
>     Right, I'm making this post my last *ever*
>     philosophical/metaphysical speculation on-line.  From now on I'm
>     determined to 'do an Eli' and only ever open my mouth when I'm
>     absolutely certain of something and can back it up.  Kind of a shame
>     I have to end my philosophy posts but otherwise people *really will*
>     start to think I'm a crack-pot LOL

You couldn't 'do an Eli' even if you intravenously injected a truckload
of nootropics.

You couldn't 'do an Eli' even if you turned zombie and consumed the
brain of Stephen Hawking.

You couldn't 'do an Eli' even if future scientists discovered a cure for
your condition.

You couldn't 'do an Eli' even if aliens uplifted you to human-level
intelligence.

I'm sorry to be blunt about this, but there comes a time when you have
to put up a sign, and people who aren't taller than the sign shouldn't
be riding the roller coaster.