[extropy-chat] Blog spam

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 17:13:53 UTC 2005

http://home.nyc.rr.com/spamsolution/An%20Effective%20Solution%20for%20Spam.htm

> (scroll down)
>
> Something like that is more of a real Turing-like test, instead of
> simple OCR-like image decoding, and it is likely where things will
> head over time I think. Someday in order to register for a site you
> may have to read a little story and answer questions related to it.

This doesn't defeat the primary means of beating captchas. The primary
means is for the spammer to set up a porn site with free porn, which
only requires the user read the captcha, but the captcha is grabbed by
the porn site from a legit site, so the spammer is using porn seekers
to do his decoding for him, so he can access legit sites without
spending a lot of time on captchas.

It also doesn't defeat the exploit of hiring poor people in India at
$10 a day to do nothing but read captchas. Developing world english
speakers are a cheap Turing machine.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com