[extropy-chat] Meeting Doctor Doom

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Apr 4 18:36:08 UTC 2006

On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:21 PM, Neil H. wrote:

> On 4/3/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Joseph Bloch
> > Subject: [extropy-chat] Meeting Doctor Doom
> >
> > http://www.sas.org/tcs/weeklyIssues_2006/2006-04-07/feature1p/
> index.html
> >
> > Apparently, Dr. Pianka advocates the elimination of 90% of the
> Earth's
> > human population because we are overtaxing the planet's natural
> resources.
>
> Joseph, I do not believe the site is correct because of the
> following comment:
>
> "But there was a gravely disturbing side to that otherwise
> scientifically
> significant meeting, for I watched in amazement as a few hundred
> members of
> the Texas Academy of Science rose to their feet and gave a standing
> ovation
> to a speech that enthusiastically advocated the elimination of 90
> percent of
> Earth's population by airborne Ebola."
>

> I confidently state that a few hundred members of the TAS would not
> encourage such a horrifying notion.  I am not defending Pianka, but
> something is amiss here.
>

> This part of the wikipedia article on Pianka may be of interest:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Pianka
>
> "It is alleged by Forrest Mims that, while accepting the Texas
> Academy of Sciences Distinguished Scientist of the Year award in
> 2006, Pianka "endorsed the elimination of 90 percent of the human
> population" through a disease such as an airborne strain of the
> ebola virus. [1] Pianka claims that Mims misunderstood his
> argument; however, Mims' characterization of the lecture seems to
> have been confirmed by a supporter of Pianka.[2]"
>

> Plus, it seems that it would be rather peculiar for somebody
> receiving a "Distinguished Scientist of the Year" award from a
> scientific organization to -not- get a standing ovation after their
> acceptance speech, even if part of that speech was disagreeable.

Disagreeable?  If this was really advocated in the speech the
audience should have left immediately if they weren't willing to grab
this mass-murder advocate and tar and feather him on the spot.   I
hope that humanity has not sunk to a state where we automatically
applaud any claim of distinction without even paying attention to
what the recipient says.  I also hope that advocating mass murder is
a hell of a lot more objectionable than merely "disagreeable".

- samantha