[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 20:56:48 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Correct, not alot of reason but enough reason all the same. I'm fifty, and
> have no intention whatsoever of being active anymore after arguing day in
> day out with ludds of all stripes since, oh, about 1968. You think I don't
> know how slowly we are evolving in terms of one person's lifespan? Think I
> don't know what it still means to be a man? Do you think a guy with two
> inches of forehead would be so foolish at fifty to let a woman advise him on
> being a man?-- would a sensible woman listen to a man attempting to advise
> her on being a woman? I'm not angry, but am thoroughly mystified that you
> would think I don't know what the score is. Am simply nonplussed.
> There is almost no purpose in trying to explain it.

None of the contents of this thread have anything to do with the male/female
distinction. Samantha was discussing the philosophy of how to be a human
being; I find her view perfectly valid and relevant, and I'm a man last I
checked. I can sympathize with being tired of arguing with luddites and
wanting to hand that task over to people who have more energy, but that
doesn't mean you can't do something else instead; a change is sometimes as
good as a rest.

Of course it's your life to lead as you see fit, and if you find other
people's perspectives don't work for you then you should disregard them, but
that is equally true whether you are a man or a woman.