[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 02:26:48 UTC 2006

The ethics for it for me are like this:

Each copy is as much "me" as I (current existing instance) am. If I
were to make copies for a purpose, I'd have to be as willing to fill
those purposes "myself" as "they" would be. In fact, I'd have to be
happy with a mechanism where there was no way of distinguishing, post
copying, who is the copy and who is the original.

Once you approach it in this way, there is far more likelihood that
your schemes will work. As, at the point of copying, you all hold the
same opinions, convictions, etc, there is very little likelihood of a
copy saying "hey, that's crap, I'm not doing that". Because it's you,
and you were always prepared to do that thing.

The more I think about it, the cooler I think being able to be a borg
of maybe up to 10 of me would be. I'd need a bigger house, but
probably all of us wouldn't need to work to support the lot (and my
family, and presumably their extended borganism too ;-) ). So there
might be the chance that, unlike now, there'd be a few copies of me
completely at liberty to follow their own projects, supported by the
rest. That'd be cool, I can't do that now.

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *
Music downloads are online again!