[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Apr 7 00:33:34 UTC 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 3:17 PM, A B wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> No problem. It wasn't so much a criticism, as it was a legitimate
> (arguably) question of mine  ;-) . I have another question though
> (presented as an experiment). Lets say that in the future it
> becomes possible to reversibly preserve a human (say through
> improved vitrification). So I decide to be vitrified, a 'perfect'
> scan is made of my brain, but is stored as information only (as a
> giant stack of printed pages), not implemented. I'm revived from
> the vitrification and go about my daily life (which should be
> pretty awesome). But, alas, I get killed in an accident one hour
> after revival. Is it your belief (or anyone elses' here) that if my
> mind-information later gets implemented (let's say in the form of a
> physical replica, made of real atoms - not simulated), that I will
> "reawaken", and it will still be "me".

That is precisely by construction how it will feel to this replica
and to everyone who knew the person.   It may of course be to
disturbing to those who know the original died.  It may even be
disturbing to the replica/recreation.

But I don't see how you can get from here to a "hive mind" as a dozen
odd copies of yourself have greatly similar minds but do not share
the same actual conscious awareness or have any extra linkages
between your separate but extremely similarly configured brains.

- samantha