[extropy-chat] Virus-Assembled Batteries

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 21:14:02 UTC 2006

On 4/8/06, Gary Miller <aiguy at comcast.net> wrote:

> Or would battery life expectancy actually improve also?

Gary, I think you are going to find the entire battery "paradigm" is about
to change fairly significantly.  Manufacturers are pushing hard to move to
methanol based fuel cells.  I'm fairly sure that these are being designed as
plug-in replacements for batteries in most devices.  In those cases one
simply needs to refill the methanol to "recharge".

Now, the only caveats here are whether or not the fuel cells have lifetimes
longer than current batteries (I suspect that they do) and how comfortable
people will feel carrying around small containers of flammable liquid
(though in the past smokers didn't have much of a problem with this).

Just keep in mind where we are going... Gadolinium-148 nuclear power
supplies for nanorobots have a half-life of 75 years.  Though I'll admit you
aren't going to see them tomorrow... :-)

Robert