[extropy-chat] Singularity Drugs

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 15:37:53 UTC 2006

Are there any prospects that before implants, BCIs (brain-computer interfaces), uploading, or AGI (and Molecular Nanotechnology) come around that any really kick-ass 'smart-drugs' are created and used? My impression is that today's 'smart-drugs' confer only modest benefits, if any, to normal healthy people. But maybe a really effective one will enter the pipeline within the near future, that can objectively increase intelligence (by safely increasing firing rates?). A kind of a poor man's version of distributed nanobot enhancers - possibly made from nanoparticles or just plain old pharmacology. Does anyone know of any projects along these lines? I'd be surprised if DARPA isn't working on it. Another useful invention invention might be a "drug" that reliably increases feelings of altruism within a subject (in principle, anti-depressants and the like don't seem too dissimilar). That could prove useful if uploading or BCIs arrive before the others (a real-time upload at
 least). In any case, a powerfully effective intelligence increasing drug would probably shorten the time to Singularity, if used appropriately.

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich