[extropy-chat] Singularity Drugs

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun Apr 16 16:59:53 UTC 2006

On 4/16/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]

Your silliness is appreciated, Spike, and it's (almost) always in the
way of expanding our view of a topic, which is also appreciated.

Agree that Anders is truly missed from this list, but it's good to see
that he remains active in developing awareness and understanding of
extropian issues.  I understand he'll be speaking at Stanford late in
May.

Regarding Bill K's comment on neuronal growth, I think the point was
that upon adulthood, the mode is one of *slow* growth of neuronal
variation generating the requisite variety for selection.  During
childhood the process is dominated by the selection (pruning) of many
times more neuronal connections.  An article on the front page of the
LA Times just this week referred to recent developments in this area
confirming growth of new neurons in several areas of the brain, but
the spin for the popular audience seemed to be on the plasticity of
personality rather than the more fundamental process of evolution
(variation followed by selection) as fundamental to growth of
knowledge models.

- Jef