[extropy-chat] Singularity Drugs

Dawn Amato blaseparrot at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 23:55:52 UTC 2006

Well, here is a way to expand the size of your brain, today.
  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=5615
  ( I actually keep trying but so far I can't get past the count of 5 with out tossing everything to the dogs.)

  D. Amato

John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:
  Russell Wallace Wrote:

> My guess is that no simple chemical tweak will confer large
> benefits to most people without corresponding disadvantages,
> simply because if such were easily had, evolution would
> probably have already found it.

Not necessarily because an entire galaxy of solutions are unavailable to
evolution, but not to intelligence. Every large change evolution makes
consists of lots of small changes, and every single one of those small
changes must confer an IMMEDIATE advantage to the organism; evolution just
doesn't understand the concept of one step backward two steps forward.
Imagine if you had to turn a prop airplane engine into a jet with a million
tiny changes and ever change must improve the performance of the engine, and
you had to make the changes while the engine was running. It just couldn't
be done. That's probably why evolution was never able to come up with some
apparently simple things, like a macroscopic body part that could move in
360 degrees.

John K Clark