[extropy-chat] infinite fun but finite tunes?

ben benboc at lineone.net
Mon Apr 17 07:46:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 05:43:30PM -0700, spike wrote:

>> Here is the disturbing part: Stevie called to say he loves us
>> somewhere around 1984-ish.  But I cannot think of a single viral
>> tune that was written after that one.

I was going to say The Grateful Dead, but no, the tune i have had
resonating in my head for the last few days was written in 1980!

But i have had a couple of Gorillaz songs, going on and on and on in my
head over the last couple of weeks. I think there are probably plenty of
tunes, but maybe not quite so many good musicians these days, that's
all. But that's ok, it means the tunes will last that much longer. If
they are indeed limited - but who knows what an enhanced intelligence
will find catchy? I remember reading a story by A E van Vogt in which
some of the characters were listening to music that sounded like a
monotonal hum to normal human ears, but to them it was like
Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto.
And before anybody gets indignant, no, i'm not calling Rachmaninov's 2nd
piano concerto a 'catchy tune'.

ben