[extropy-chat] Atomic Force Microscopy and Futurist/Transhumanist interests

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Apr 19 20:10:30 UTC 2006

As many of you know, I work for a certain maker of Atomic Force
Microscopes.  I'm pursuing the objective of having one of our senior
scientists give a presentation on this technology for an upcoming Los
Angeles Future Salon.

While I know our scientists are abreast of developments and interests
in AFM/SPM related to industry and academia, I'm not so sure they are
familiar with some of the more radical questions that may be be raised
by individuals in these forums.

I'd like very much to collect questions from list members on a wide
range of interests related to AFM, and in return I'll summarize the
Q&A from the Salon.

Some examples to get us started:
  Questions about scanning of cryogenically preserved brains...
  Possibilities of haptics interface to be able to "touch" and
manipulate nanoscale objects...
  Possibilities for personal AFMs...
  AFMs for fast environmental sensing of toxins...

Other topics or questions:  technical, biological, social, economic, artistic...

- Jef