[extropy-chat] FWD (UFO UpDate) Re: 1940s UFO [and class warfare in the U.S.] Mindset

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 26 02:45:01 UTC 2006

Well, I was alive in the 1940s and what I remember well into the

1950s was the mindset of the Great Depression. My clan suffered
greatly, as did everyone else's clan. However, I remember the
time of oldster's not trusting their leaders or business
specifically because of the class system. I literally cry that
such a system is reemerging today.

It wasn't until the mid-1950s that older people began to loosen
up and begin to believe that maybe life was actually going to
get better. It was no secret that trust in business and
government tanked then as it has now. There are many
similarities today... class systems re-emerging for the worst,
while the majority can't make ends meet, etc.

I remember living in government housing because we were very
poor. My father worked the CCC in order to eat. One day the
government was converting the housing units from coal to oil.
During that time my father took me aside and told me that a
person "of color" was going to be doing the work on our unit. He
told me that I was to accept this gentleman (and he certainly
was just that, even though he was covered in the dust of
concrete) and be friendly. My father also told me that when he
was in WWII that he was ashamed of the prejudice he observed and
that come "hell or high water, if I ever catch you being
disrespectful to a minority, you wouldn't eat for a month." He
meant it too!

Yes, it was a very different mindset, but people back then
helped each other far more than they do today. We children were
given excellent educations and a turncoat member of the elites,
known as Franklin Delano Roosevelt, brought the rest of the U.S.
citizens out of a very restrictive class system. As a matter of
fact, I still remember when it came time to eat, grandparents
and parents ate first. We children got the leftovers. True!!!

I also remember my father reading the flying saucer reports from
the newspapers and how he did so to boost the imagination he had
taken out of him in his youth.

You youngsters are very close to losing your country.

Wendy Connors

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program