[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 15:54:44 UTC 2006

Hi Heartland,

  I think the Time disagreement between us is due to poor representation on my part. The roughly 10^29 Planck Intervals that elapse between any two neuronal discharges is *not* a "static snapshot", it *is* Time - "in motion". 10^29 Planck Intervals could be represented just as validly as a tiny fraction of 1 Second, a tiny fraction of 1 Hour, or a tiny fraction of 1 Million Years - it makes no difference, the value is the same. The only time frame that actually represents a "snapshot" is that which is shorter than a *single* Planck Interval - and this interval is not applicable in our universe.

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich

Heartland <velvet977 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  > Before I continue with the technical aspects of this debate, I would like to
> make a proposal. I think it would be ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING AND REWARDING to
> attempt a formal philosophical thesis paper, based on the premise that I just
> suggested: That "we" are constantly dieing, and our entire subjective life is
> only a "copy's illusion" (to use Heartland's perfect phrase).

Thanks Jeffrey, but we are not constantly dying. Any process, including life, needs
time to exist so it would be wrong to view the whole argument from t=0 perspective.
If t=0, then what you are saying would definitely be true, but t>0. Life is not
3-dimensional. Life, a process, is made up of processes that exist not only in 3D
but also in time.

Just because I'm not able to say, "I think, therefore I am" during 10^29 Planck
Intervals doesn't mean my mind process stopped execution at that moment so that I
am unable to say the same sentence in the next 3s.

S.