[extropy-chat] Accelerated wound healing by the body electric

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 21:53:01 UTC 2006

On 8/3/06, scerir wrote:

> Not sure he wrote exactly that. In a letter to Max Born
> (4 December 1926), he wrote: 'Quantum mechanics is very
> impressive. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet
> the real thing. The theory produces a good deal but hardly
> brings us closer to the secret of the Old one. I am
> at all events convinced that He does not play dice.'

He wrote that letter in German, so we are working with a translation.

"Jedenfalls bin ich überzeugt, dass der nicht würfelt".
At any rate, I am convinced that He does not throw dice.

Albert Einstein once noted in a letter to George Seldes, 'Many things
which go under my name are badly translated from the German or are
invented by other people.' The physicist said this to explain his
suggested deletion from Seldes's quotation collection of, among other
things, his famous observation that 'there is no hitching post in the
universe.' This was said to have been Einstein's response to a
reporter's request for a one-line summary of his theory of relativity.
Einstein didn't delete 'God does not play dice,' the bumper-stickered
version of his 1926 observation, 'I, at any rate, am convinced that He
is not playing at dice.'

Other references say that the dice quotation was a favorite of
Einstein's and he said various versions of it throughout his life. It
seems that he intended to say not that quantum mechanics theory was
wrong, but rather that it was incomplete.

BillK