[extropy-chat] Music for little transhumans

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat Aug 5 05:59:00 UTC 2006

http://www.scq.ubc.ca/?p=160

HARMONY IS ALWAYS HERE
By David Ng

{begin quote}
I'm not entirely sure if I became a rational scientific person by nature
or nurture. Whether it is genetic or whether it is the obvious result of
too many years of study. Whatever the case may be, I am a slave to my
curiosity, and sometimes I swear I bleed science. To me, everything
needs an answer, deserves an explanation, or craves a solution. Even
Ben.

And it would not be a stretch to say that I have known Ben for his
entire life. In fact, I was even there at his birth - an intense, wet
and happy event that will forever resonate in my head. Not all that
surprising when you consider that Ben is only 12 months old and also my
son. And as a father, I know that children are truly marvelous creatures
- they are like noisy habits, capable of providing endless emotion,
delivering that bullet of equal parts joy, worry and fatigue.

They are also mysterious to me. Not in the sense that being a parent
fills me with fear, but more in the sense that I am often in wonder at
how perfect these small beings really are - a testament, if you will, to
the marvel of biology. I mean really, what exactly makes them do the
things that they do?

Take music, for instance - it reaches out to Ben. And for whatever
reason, certain songs can even elicit specific fervent reactions.
Although the examples seem to change weekly, currently they include:
Vertigo by U2 (spontaneous heading bobbing - head banging really), Won't
Give In by the Finn Brothers (spontaneous twirling/cuddling), and the
Dora The Explorer Theme Song (spontaneous manic hip swaying) - all in a
child that is a little over one year old.
[...]
{end quote}

See the article for the rest

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/