[extropy-chat] Census Declaration - Transhumanism as a Religion?

kevin.osborne kevin.osborne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 01:27:00 UTC 2006

Hi All

I'm about to complete my census declaration for the Australian
national census tomorrow, and was wondering whether there is a
concerted effort by Singulatarians/Futurists/Transhumanists to
identify themselves as collective.

I guess you can compare it to the 'Jedi' census-hacking thats been
going on for years.

I'm quite happy to complete my census declaration of religious
affiliation as atheist but thought maybe we might be exploiting the
chance to come to the notice of policy makers and/or the media by
entering a moniker-of-choice suited to our little future-fetish.

While I'm not the biggiest fan of 'Transhumanist' as a term (choosing
to view 'being human' as more of an ideal, and less a biological
birthright, I think we're only going to become *more* human as time
progresses) I'm more than happy to enter it if that's the term we as a
collective associate with the most; simply because I'd rather have ,
for example, 1500 australian transhumanists on the polls than 500 each
of singulatarian/futurist/transhumanist.

So which term? And would it be extra cheeky to list it as my Ethnic
origin as well?