[extropy-chat] Our Solar System Planets

Jeff Medina analyticphilosophy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 17:49:11 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:
> The planets in our Solar System are now 12:

Not quite yet.  The resolution that would make Ceres, Charon, Pluto,
and 2003 UB313 official IAU-recognized planets (Resolution 5 for
GA-XXVI) "will be presented for voting at the 2nd session of the GA 24
August between 14:00 and 17:30 CEST".

Interestingly, if they pass it, it is estimated (see FAQ page Amara
linked) that another 12 to 24 trans-Neptunian objects currently being
asssessed will end up classified as planets, so the list will go up
into the 20s or even 30s of planets in our little ol' solar system.

Best,
--
Jeff Medina
Sr. Systems Engineer, Lockheed Martin

"Do you want to live forever?"
"Dunno. Ask me again in five hundred years."
(_Guards! Guards!_, Terry Pratchett)