[extropy-chat] future-sceptic jibes in the press

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Thu Aug 17 18:57:39 UTC 2006

Hype and credibility are inversely proportional. It may sell more
movies or books, but you will suffer either on the social/societal
side or the professional side. I see a lot of what Ray Kurzweil is
doing as helping to popularize memes in modern science and technology
in a way that Carl Sagan did for astronomy and astrophysics/general
science. It is, imho, all good, but people see you doing stuff and
they are going to take their shot. Even if they like what you are
saying.

If you look at the simplest terms - Singularity - when technological
advancement accelerates to the point of infinity/unpredictability...
well it is sort of that way now, isn't it? Just because we think
there is going to be a better mousetrap/iPod/802.11q doesn't mean
that we are predicting anything. We're just comfortable with the
obvious. Toyota releases a personal air transport with a Thorium
reactor tomorrow, and there is your surprise and unpredictability.

Armageddon/End Days/Singularity? If you are taking one as the other
or talking in similar terms with each topic, see your doctor or
pharmacist.

]3