[extropy-chat] Our Solar System Planets

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 18 21:19:31 UTC 2006

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> At 08:03 PM 8/18/2006 +0200, Alfio wrote:
>
> >Interestingly enough, the IAU has never *named* a
> planet in all its
> >history, since they were all aready named. This is
> their first time,
> >so maybe they are just being extra careful :-)
>
> If they showed a decent respect for science fiction,
> they'd name it
> Proserpine (or Proserpina). Although that should
> really have gone to Charon.

Well respect for naming conventions to say the least.
Aside from Damien's excellent suggestion of
Proserpina, following the convention of naming planets
after Roman gods and goddesses, there are quite a few
choices remaining: Janus, Minerva, Vulcan, Bacchus,
Diana, Terminus, Cupid, Faunus, and Quirinus.

Personally, I like Minerva, as she was once of the
major Roman dieties and probably deserving of a
planet. Especially a planet that required wisdom to
find.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The 'I' is an illusion but that illusion needs to be experienced, and it is only by experience that it can be known as an illusion."

- Shankarachanya