[extropy-chat] Forbes Magazine on Robotics

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Aug 20 16:02:34 UTC 2006

At 12:58 AM 8/20/2006 -0400, you wrote:

>Forbes Magazine, always eager to put our money where their mouth is,
>devotes this latest issue to Robotics (including cyborgs):
>
><http://www.forbes.com/2006/08/17/06egang_Robots_land.html?partner=globalnews_newsletter>http://www.forbes.com/2006/08/17/06egang_Robots_land.html?partner=globalnews_newsletter
>
>Put in your order for your exo-suit and vote on which techonology will
>impact our world the most over the next decade.  The front runner in the
>poll so far, by a huge margin, is alternative energy.

Amazing, cryonics is on the list.

As big an impact as alternative energy could have, not getting an
alternative energy source will have a bigger one--mass starvation and
wars.  Few people realize it, but there are many calories of fossil energy
in every calory of food.  Between running out of easy to get energy and the
greenhouse gas problem, something really has to be done.

Nanotechnology can solve the problems in a dozen different ways, but that
may come too late.

This is a group that is not into heavy engineering, but I was still
surprised nobody commented on the mechanically powered space elevator I
posted about.  Massive investment, the cable is borderline nanotechnology,
but it would solve the energy problem.

It really needs to go up on a wiki page to accumulate details.  Any
suggestions?

Keith Henson