[extropy-chat] META: mailing list problems was [Re: Bainbridg today...]

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 08:12:56 UTC 2006

On 8/21/06, Robert Bradbury wrote:
> Ok, this problem was apparently mine (and/or Gmail's) and not the
> ExiCh mail server.
> (byegones)
>
> Keith's messages were getting flagged by gmail as SPAM and ended up in
> my SPAM box even though they were marked by my filters as being from
> the ExiCh list.  (Apparently they will *not* show up in your inbox
> *or* the subject thread (within a labeled 'folder') even if they have
> labels attached by filters if they are flagged as spam.  You have to
> explicitly de-spamify the messages to get them filed correctly (learn
> something every day I guess).
>
> I don't know whether gmail identifies only mail in my inbox from Keith
> as SPAM or whether it is a general aspect of all gmail SPAM filtering
> (if so, Keith ought to complain to Google). [1]

Google's spam filters are secret (to avoid spammers bypassing their
rules), but I think the same spam rules apply to all users.

I received Keith's emails ok, filtered into the Extropy folder by my
own filter.
I quite often (about one per week) get messages sent to the Spam
folder which also have one of my labels attached. I have to click on
it as 'Not Spam' to get it into the inbox, then 'Archive' it to get it
filed under the correct label.

In theory, clicking 'Not Spam' will eventually persuade gmail to
remove that particular message (or email address) from the spam
filter. But you might be competing with many other users who are
clicking 'Report Spam' against that message.

If you have set up any of your own spam filters, they might be wrongly
detecting the message as spam.

Google say:
Make sure you've added your friends' email addresses to your Contacts
list. Gmail always delivers messages from your contacts.

But, on the other hand, I've just received a group of messages from
extropy-chat, some several days old, and out of date sequence, so
maybe there is a glitch in the exi mail server.  Or maybe moderation
is delaying some messages. But that would delay everyone receiving the
messages, not just Robert.

BillK