[extropy-chat] Nietszche on rational irrationality

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Dec 5 04:55:23 UTC 2006

Mike writes

> that makes me think of the Beatles "Imagine" - a truly
> depressing picture of a homeostatic society where
> everyone is equal.

Well, in no society has everyone been equal, and until we
meddle enough with human nature or our mind children do
it for us will it ever be possible.

> I wonder how much more likely one is to lose their identity
> completely once they're worn down to the point of
> acquiescence to the group mind?

Now *that* has happened before:  just think of extraordinarily
devout communities of religious believers. Living in free, open,
and diverse societies is an extremely efficient and hardy
antidote.  In fact, you really need not that much.  The puritans
and pilgrims in Colonial America and in Great Britain were
hardly bereft of strong individuals.

So I don't think that there is really anything to worry about on
this score.

Lee