[extropy-chat] PBS futurology

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Sat Dec 9 02:39:17 UTC 2006

>22nd CENTURY
>Would you like to know what the world is going to be like 30 years from
>now? Will human life spans increase to 250 years or more? Will your
>personal computer become smarter than you? Will machines shrink so
>small they can make repairs inside a human cell? This series is about
>these dramatic changes ­ expected within our lifetimes ­ changes made
>possible by scientific and technological research being conducted in
>laboratories across the globe today. Each episode will be driven by
>three characters viewing these scientific advances from a different
>perspective. One will be an actor portraying Aldous Huxley, the late
>author of Brave New World, who worried about the dehumanizing
>consequences of new technology. The second will be an impartial
>observer from the present, an everyday person who, like viewers, is
>affected by the changes taking place. The third will be a character
>from the future, who presents an optimistic view of all the
>possibilities these technologies offer.
>
>Airdate :  01/17/07  Time :  8:00 - 9:00 pm

The pilot was written by my buddy Michael Chorost, author of "Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human."  Great book, if you haven't read it.

The pilot episode is all about humans becoming cyborgs, hence Mike's involvement.

Fingers crossed for him!  Any of you have Nielsen monitors at home?  ;-)

PJ