[extropy-chat] Another review of Moral Minds by Huaser

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Dec 9 17:16:07 UTC 2006

Keith writes

> In American Scientist.
>
> At the end about the reviewer:
>
> "Edward Edsten is a Ph.D. candidate in animal behavior at the University of
> California, Davis. Peter J. Richerson is Distinguished Professor of
> Environmental Science at UC Davis. He is coauthor, with Robert Boyd, of Not
> By Genes Alone: How Culture Transformed Human Evolution  (University of
> Chicago Press, 2005)"
>
> Has anyone read this book?

Not I.   But as early as 1981 Wilson and Lumsden wrote a famous book (whose
title eludes me at the moment) on the interplay between genes and culture. They
went so far as to fill up appendices with a lot of math about their new "culturgens",
a sort of gene that influences culture and vice-versa.

But these guys probably have a lot to say that's new.  Thanks for the tip.

Lee