[extropy-chat] The Powers of Breast Milk

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Sun Dec 10 01:43:12 UTC 2006

Buried in one of Eugen's >Htech posts is an article on the newfound curative powers of breast milk:

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20061209/bob8.asp

It describes the multitude of ways breast milk, or its components, may be used in the future as cures of ills from MS to cancer.

I always love it when science claims to have discovered something completely new and unheard of, when it isn't.  Breast milk is a very old cure and one that was usually reserved for the wealthy, who could afford their own wet nurses.  John Jacob Astor and John D. Rockefeller both lived to remarkable ages for their times (Astor to age 84, died in 1848 and Rockefeller to age 97, died in 1937).  Both men were active (at least in their businesses) to the end and both lived in their later years on breast milk.  It was a known restorative and commonly prescribed as a dietary replacement for those who could not hold down solid food.  Rockefeller swore he would not have lived as long as he did without it.

Sure beats those little cans of meal replacement drinks they hand out on the hospital trays... but what would they call it when they marketed it?  (Damien?  Spike?  Robert?  Anders?  I'm handing this one to you on a silver-plated hospital tray.)

PJ