[extropy-chat] Logical or rational?

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Sun Dec 10 19:00:27 UTC 2006

I apologize for my previous post.
I was confusing the word "rational" with the word
"logical".
The example given regarding the suicide bombers was
tricky.

As Bill mentionned the definition of rational is:

They say that 'rational' is generally used for
intelligent goal-seeking behaviour (i.e. non-random
behaviour). But admit that values must judge whether
the goal is rational or not. So you can have rational
behaviour seeking to achieve non-rational
goals (and vice-versa).

My first response was that suicide bombers are
irrational. I now think that they are being rational
based upon what they believe.  Such as religious
points of view, life after death, etc.
Whether I believe that their religious points of view,
etc, are wrong or not, is irrelevant.

Now the definition for logical is:
capable of or reflecting the capability for correct
and valid reasoning - Princeton

I don't think suicide bombers are very logical. Their
thoughts are based on their own perspectives (or
perspectives within their surroundings.) No matter the
reasoning (religion, pride, after life reward), the
effect outways the cause.  Logical is knowing that a
life is worth close to zero compared to a 1000 lives,
that's why the bombers are rational but not logical.

On a side note, I did wonder, if the bombers knew
personaly the 1000 people they where killing, would
the bombers be more logical?

Then I wondered, what really makes someone irrational?
I'm not sure about this one but I think that
irrational is knowing logic and choosing not to apply
it.
Ex: Knowing that eating fast food is bad for you but
choosing to do it anyway.

Anyway, I hope I have at least begun to grasp some of
the discussion, all I can do is try:)

Thanks
Anna:)

A single conversation with a wise man is better than
ten years of study.  ~Chinese Proverb