[extropy-chat] SECOND LIFE not working

Randall Randall randall at randallsquared.com
Mon Dec 11 17:51:01 UTC 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 6:09 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 03:30:45AM -0500, Randall Randall wrote:
>> Maybe
>> all that's changed now.  For reference, I have a 1.9Ghz G5 with 1.5GB
>> Mac,
>> and a 3MB cable network connection.
>
> This hardware should run great. Which graphics accelerator card do
> you have?

ATI Radeon X600 Pro

>> that it's entirely possible to do a virtual world right, but at least
>> through
>> May or so of this year, they hadn't managed it (on Mac, at least).
>
> I need to check back with that, I've never tried the OS X SL client.
> Can't see to find online reports about poor Mac performance.
>
>> more than 3 frames per second out of it.
>
> You should be getting 25 fps with that hardware without breaking a
> sweat.
> http://www.versiontracker.com/php/feedback/article.php?
> story=20050618061835830
> seems to indicate there are some light performance problems, but
> nowhere
> as bad as the 3 fps you've cited.

The frames per second, although low, may not have been quite as low
as 3. The biggest problem, for me, was that it took so long for objects
(like buildings, etc) to fill in that I would have to stop and wait to
see what I was near.

After some more thought about this, I think this might well have been
due to having to download everything, in contrast to WoW, which has the
static parts of the world already in the application folder.  I'm going
to try SL again later today, and report whether it seems to have
improved.

--
Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com>
Software isn't really a product; it's a service: