[extropy-chat] nuclear spring?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 12 05:37:24 UTC 2006

I recall years ago Carl Sagan making the case that if the US and the commies
nuke each other, the dust particles kicked into the air would increase the
albedo of the earth and cause a nuclear winter, a new ice age.  But what if
Iran and Israel go at each other with nukes?  They have only a fraction of
the numbers Sagan was assuming, so what happens then?

Is there a relatively small cooling effect that offsets global warming?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061211/ap_on_sc/nuclear_winter

A grim scenario is this.  Israel has now admitted that they have nukes, and
the world is standing by as Ahmadinijehad leads Iran into the club.  We can
see this coming as clearly as if it has already happened: those two guys are
going to get into it, possibly soon.  Any speculation on which effect is
greater, a small nuclear winter or global warming?