[extropy-chat] Bully Magnets

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 13 06:04:57 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Lee Corbin
>
> Unfortunately, this awareness has been lost, especially in modern
> America.  When did your family begin locking its doors at night?

This is something I have wondered about.  My conclusion is that door locking
does not start at a particular time in history, so much as it starts in
families when certain milestones are reached, such as 1) when the children
are old enough to be responsible with keys, and 2) when the home attains
something of actual value.

In my case that happened around 1974.  My brother and I could keep up with
house keys before that time, but our house contained exactly nothing that
would be worth the effort to haul away.  In 74, we bought a color TV, so the
door had to be locked after that.

> Most people I know relate that their
> folks began locking their doors at night around 1960... Lee

Lee perhaps many of those people were in their teens in 1960?