[extropy-chat] Usefulness of Anger and Hate

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Thu Dec 14 18:24:41 UTC 2006

At 11:07 PM 12/13/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>Jef writes
>
> > Hate certainly acts to promote solidarity within a specified group, but
> > at the same time drawing a sharper line between in-group and out-group.
>
>I understand.
>
> > The hate dynamic tends toward immoral actions because hate motivates
> > narrower context decision-making, evaluating consequences over narrower
> > scope of possible agents and possible interactions.
>
>Sorry Jef, but this is typical of passages that really aren't clear to
>me, and, maybe, to many people. I'm not recommending
>anything---just reporting that the clarity doesn't seem to be
>what it should be or could be.

Perhaps I could rephrase this in EP terms.

> > Hate certainly acts to promote solidarity within a specified group, but
> > at the same time drawing a sharper line between in-group and out-group.

That's the evolved function of hate, particularly xenophobic hate.

 > The hate dynamic tends toward immoral actions

What we feel is "immoral" has been shaped by evolution in the stone
age.  It is, for example, considered immoral to kill close relatives while
it is considered entirely moral to kill attackers who are trying to kill
those close relatives.  Exactly what you would expect from genes that are
rationally "trying" to get into the next generation.

In times of low stress, that is the food supply looks to be ok into the
foreseeable future, and your tribe is not under attack, what we consider
immoral widens.

 >because hate motivates
 > narrower context decision-making, evaluating consequences over narrower
 > scope of possible agents and possible interactions.

That's a better technical wording to the way I usually put it.  I just say
that xenophobic memes and the mental state they induce (hate) interferes
with the parts of the mind that do rational thought.  A really short
approach is hate makes you stupid.

snip

Of course the *reason* these mechanisms evolved is that (pre birth control)
humans lacked other ways to keep the population inside the ability of the
ecosystem to feed them.

Keith Henson