[extropy-chat] When Did (or Do) People Start Locking Doors?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Dec 15 22:06:29 UTC 2006

Fred writes

> In addition to locking doors of a home, it is interesting to consider
> when locking doors of a car became more widespread.  I can remember a
> time when cars were typically not locked in store parking lots.

Thanks for bringing up this important aspect!  I can even remember as
a young adult trying to open people's cars to turn off their lights and being
surprised that the doors were locked.  This data point suggests to
me that in southern California something changed in the mid-seventies.

I began locking my car doors when I moved to northern California about
1980.

Lee