[extropy-chat] Not You Tube (Hubble Deep Field andSagan'svisions)

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Dec 20 18:25:01 UTC 2006

Heartland wrote:
> (Jef wrote:)

>> Pink Floyd in the background set the perfect mood for such a
>> transcendent view of our place in the scheme of things.
>> Does anyone else here get that kind of feeling from Shine On
>> You Crazy Diamond, Welcome to the Machine, Wish You Were Here,
>> Hey You, Comfortably Numb?
>> If so, does anyone have recommendations for similar music?
>
> Hmm, Echoes, Atom Heart Mother? :-)
>
> But if you seek the perfect match of space imagery and music
> or if you're generally after that "transcendent/solemn" vibe,
> nothing, IMHO, beats Dead Can Dance's music.
> Try Anywhere Out Of The World, Windfall, Carnival Is Over,
> Enigma Of The Absolute, The Protagonist and perhaps go from
> there. It works for me.

Thanks Slawomir.  I like Echoes but Atom Heart Mother has a certain
rough-edged quality that I don't much care for in this genre.  Those
that I mentioned seem to me to have the emotive power of rock, with
elegance of composition on a par with Bach and Beethoven.  I think you
called it right with "the transcendent/solemn vibe", but I was able to
download and sample some of the Dead Can Dance that you recommended and
it's not the same for me, strongly reminding me of the background "world
beat" music one hears in New Age, White Light, crystal and incense
shops.

- Jef