[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings (was: cold fusion warms up)

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Dec 26 17:21:36 UTC 2006

At 04:09 AM 12/26/2006 -0500, John K Clark wrote:

> > I'll respond by citing again support for the effect from the only Nobel
> > laureate physicist I'm in regular communication with.
>
>You don't mention the name but I'll bet you dollars to doenuts you're
>talking about Brian Josephson.

Correct.

>I'll bet you that an article favorable to cold fusion (not counting Muon
>fusion) will not be published in Nature or Science in the next year. If the
>article appears I will publicly admit that I was wrong and you were right.
>But if the article does not appear will you do the same?

The situation is not symmetrical. You're stating confidently that
claims of such phenomena are "bullshit"--that it just doesn't, and
can't, exist. All I'm saying is that some serious researchers report
otherwise. If such an article appears--and there are well-known
institutional reasons why it's banned from major outlets, as have
drextech and major life-extension papers--you're blown out of the
water. By contrast, I'm not making any claims for whether the effect
is real (only that there's still, surprisingly, some reason to think
it's worth investigating); as I said, my dog's not in the race. But
applying your "next-year-or-bust" test also make SETI complete
bullshit, and would have made black holes bullshit for decades, and
during 2007 will almost certain make molecular nano assemblers
bullshit, and and and.

Damien Broderick