[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings (was: cold fusion warms up)

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Dec 26 19:46:14 UTC 2006

To: extropians at extropy.org
From: Amara Graps <amara at amara.com>
Subject: re: Cold fusion redux

  "John K Clark" <jonkc at att.net> :
>but there is no big controversy
>over this matter, 99.9% of the scientific community think cold fusion
>(except Muon-catalyzed cold fusion) is utter crap.

I don't think scientists think it is "utter crap", either then or now.

Amara

================== from the Past =======================================

From: James_J_Kowalczyk at cup.portal.com
Newsgroups: sci.physics.fusion
Subject: Re: Pons and Fleischmann -- and Paul Kammerer
Date: 22 Jun 89 03:09:54 GMT

lip at voyager..ARPA (Loren I. Petrich) writes:

... lot's of stuff not relevant to sci.physics.fusion deleted

>combined with inadvertent Darwinism, it seems that the excess heat
>production could well be accounted for by chemical reactions in the
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>electrodes, and not nuclear fusion. And there are parallel tests for
>both. For the first, one breeds very carefully, in an attempt to
>counteract natural selection. For the second, one redoes the
>experiment with varying mixes of hydrogen isotopes, including "natural"
>hydrogen (with almost no deuterium).
>
>         I hope that some of these critical tests are done in the
>months to come.

I am getting pretty tired of seeing this idea brought up.
Face it, there are only two possibilities:  either a nuclear process
is producing the excess heat, or (due to sloppy measurements)
there is no excess heat.  Excess heat of the magnitude that Pons and
Fleischmann are claiming *cannot be due to a chemical reaction.*

To quote Pons:  "Heat is the primary evidence that it's nuclear.  If you
take all possible hydrogen in the reaction and burn it (a chemical
reaction), you get two watts per cubic centimeter; we get 20 times that
much energy."

Jim Kowalczyk

      James_J_Kowalczyk at cup.portal.com
      Kowalczyk at chemistry.utah.edu