[extropy-chat] Language Again

Heartland velvethum at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 30 00:25:56 UTC 2006

For the love of god, can people stop using "ve", "vis" and "ver" to refer to a
sexless being? I believe there already exists a perfect word that could replace all
these ugly, inefficient and pretentious little monsters. It's called "it." :)

And while we're on the subject of "his" vs. "her" or "one," here's how the author
of the book I'm currently reading deals with the issue. On page 3 he plugs in the
footnote that says: "For reading simplicity and clarity, the use of the masculine
he, his and him should be viewed as neutral. It refers to both males and females.
No sexism is intended."

Smart man. Instead of annoying his readers with trying hard not to appear sexist
for the rest of the book, he deals with it right away and moves on to the actual
content.

Slawomir