[extropy-chat] Is Many Worlds testable?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Dec 30 23:56:18 UTC 2006

At 06:33 PM 12/30/2006 -0500, JKC wrote:

>Near as I can tell he is saying that if an observer sees a particle hit
>the large side of a chamber he knows he's not living in a universe where the
>particle hits a much smaller target; but my interpretation can't be right
>because he has found all sorts of profound philosophical implications from
>that mundane fact.

I think what Serafino said is that a conscious observer, seeing the
particle hit the wall rather than the inner plate, knows that the
"collapse of the state vector" or the "world divergence" happened
*already*, in the past--and therefore consciousness was not required
to bring it about. Thus, mind is ruled out as an operator (assuming
it is not able to affect the past, a further complication that is not
addressed by most discussions on this topic). This result will come
as no great shock to extropes, but plenty of people still seem to
cling to the notion.

Serafino will correct me if I'm wrong.

And thank you for the kind words, John, and for the courtesy of your

Damien Broderick