[extropy-chat] Signaling and Social Markers

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 28 19:30:57 UTC 2006

--- Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
> So, maybe there's an analogy between the clothing
>style one presents and the communication style one
>presents.  For me they seem very different in terms
>of values, but I can see that they each may be simply
>a layer over the self.

I was wondering why "simply a layer over the self"?
I would have thought it would be simply a layer aside
of the self.

A clothing style is a form of self communication when
you are wearing what you personaly choose to wear.
Other times, it is simply standardized materials that
represent norms and behaviors such as a police
uniforms,surplices or business suits.

Do you believe that with such materials that a person
can be influenced and changed simply due to what they
are wearing?

Just curious
Anna:)

If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy
furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and
shoddy philosophies.... It would be a sad situation if
the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside
it.  ~Albert Einstein