[extropy-chat] Email Postage

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 6 18:26:11 UTC 2006

The whole pay thing has problems because it kills many free email services.
If someone is paying and collecting n cents per email, then there must be
payment processing infrastructure in place to run. That now complicates all
small projects as they must go through a pay service to send (and even
receive email). So now open source projects must add credit card processors,
etc to be able to send emails from sourcefourge.

The pay systems are bad because they impose a worse evil than spam: pay
email. I would rather deal with spam than pay for any emails.

I've used hotmail for almost 10 years and I rarely get spam (maybe one per
month). I have filters set up that prevent all the stupid \/iagra adds from
getting through.

I think that AOL and Yahoo are more interested in email postage not as a
spam prevention but to save money from trying to stop spam and to make
revenue from direct emailers.

Right now AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail all spend a lot of time updating
blacklists and whitelists and stuff like that. If they can "solve" the
problem by using email postage then they can stop fighting spam on other
fronts and just make customers enable email postage checking.

I think there are better ways to minimize spam without foisting a payment
plan on top of email.

BAL