[extropy-chat] NASA and the Big Bang "theory"

ben benboc at lineone.net
Mon Feb 6 20:28:14 UTC 2006

Spike wrote:

 >> It would be interesting to propose that we should refer to the god
 >> theory, the genesis theory, the jesus theory, the virgin birth theory,
 >> the original sin theory, the infallibility of the pope theory, the
 >> apocalypse theory ... ben

 > Ben that has been done.  By me specifically.  If you use any of those,
 > they fundies often reply with something along the lines of "That isn't
 > a theory, its the truth, a fact!  Says so right in the bible."

Aha. So a 'fact' is an assertion written down in an old book, that is
not supposed to be questioned, also known as 'the truth'. I think that
should be referred to as 'absolute truth', to distinguish it from
'conditional truth', which is by far the most useful kind.

Yes, now it all makes sense. The transubstantiation of wine into blood
fact, the reincarnation fact, the Maat fact, the Saturnian Teapot fact
(i'm sure that one's written down somewhere), and the Santa Claus fact
can all sit happily side by side, enlighten our children, and help them
live useful, happy, cooperative and productive fact-filled lives, kept
on the straight and narrow with Sharia, and kept healthy with homoeopathy.

ben