[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) Is libertarianism a faith position?

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 7 04:56:35 UTC 2006

[This, though long, sums up a lot of personal reservations about

libertarianism I have long had. What I personally appreciate is that
Leser actually takes such subjects up: it's a relief to read this
exposition rather than being told that one is 'stupid' or 'recalcitrant'
for seriously questioning such suppositions. And I personally do think
that skeptics should apply themselves to examining the pretexts of
libertarianism as much as they do any other world-view that ultimately
puts a lot of emphasis on assumption and faith.][J.H.]

by Edward Leser [edited and abridged]

Libertarianism is usually defined as the view in political philosophy
that the only legitimate function of a government is to protect its
citizens from force, fraud, theft, and breach of contract, and that it
otherwise ought not to interfere with its citizens dealings with one
another, either to make them more economically equal or to make them
more morally virtuous. Most libertarian theorists emphasize that their
position is not intended to be a complete system of ethics, but merely a
doctrine about the proper scope of state power: their claim is not that
either egalitarian views about the distribution of wealth or traditional
attitudes about sexuality, drug use, and the like are necessarily
incorrect, but only that such moral views ought not to guide public
policy. A libertarian society is in their view compatible with any
particular moral or religious outlook one might be committed to, and
this is taken to be one of its great strengths: people of all
persuasions in a pluralistic society can have reason to support a
libertarian polity, precisely because it does not favor any particular
persuasion over another. A libertarian society is, it is claimed,
genuinely neutral between diverse moral and religious worldviews.

It simply isn't true that libertarianism is neutral between various
moral and religious worldviews, notwithstanding that most libertarians
would like to believe (indeed do believe) that it is. The reason, as it
turns out, is that there is no such thing as libertarianism in the first
place: it would be more accurate to speak in the plural of
libertarianisms, a variety of doctrines each often described as
libertarian, but having no common core, and each of which tends in
either theory or practice to favor some moral worldviews to the
exclusion of others. It also turns out that the illusion that there is
such a thing as libertarianism -- a basic set of beliefs and values that
all so-called libertarians have in common -- is the source of the
illusion that a libertarian society would be a truly neutral one. When
one gets clear on exactly which version of libertarianism one is talking
about, it will be seen that what one is talking about is a doctrine with
substantial moral commitments, commitments which cannot fail to promote
some worldviews and to push others into the margins of social life.

To see that this is so, we need only look at some specific and
paradigmatic examples of libertarian political theories, and there is no
more appropriate place to start than at the beginning, with the early
classical liberal (as opposed to modern, egalitarian liberal) political
thinkers whom libertarians typically regard as their intellectual
forebears. Take John Locke (1632-1704), who famously argued that the
primary function of a government was to protect the property rights of
its citizens, with the most fundamental property right being that of
self-ownership. That we own ourselves entails, in Lockes view, that we
own our labor and its fruits, and this in turn entails that we can (with
certain qualifications) come to own whatever previously unowned natural
resources we mix our labor with. Self-ownership thus grounds the right
to private property, and with it the basic rights that determine the
proper scope and functions of state power.

But what grounds the right of self-ownership itself? The answer,
according to Locke, was that it derives from *God*. How? God, being the
creator of everything that exists other than Himself including us is the
ultimate owner of everything that exists including us. Therefore, when a
person harms another person by killing him, stealing from him, and so
forth, he in effect violates the rights of God, because he damages what
is God's property. To respect God's rights over us, therefore, we must
recognize our duty not to kill, harm, or steal from each other, which
entails treating each other as having certain rights relative to each
other the rights to life, liberty, and property. And these rights can
usefully be summed up as rights of self-ownership. But ultimately, as it
turns out, we dont really own ourselves: *God does*. Relative to Him, we
are merely leasing ourselves, as it were, and are accountable to Him for
how we use His property. Relative to other human beings, however, we are
in effect self-owners; we must treat others as if they owned themselves,
and not use them as if they were our property.

That Lockes version of classical liberalism favors a decidedly religious
social order should be obvious. Of course, Locke is also famous for
promoting the idea of religious toleration, and would vehemently reject
the suggestion that any particular denomination or its teachings ought
to be promoted by government. But Locke was nevertheless very far in his
thinking from the interpretation of the doctrine of the separation of
church and state favored by the ACLU. For he also held that toleration
cannot be extended to atheists, precisely because their denial of the
existence of God amounted, in his view, to the denial of the very
foundations of the moral order in general, and the classical liberal
political order in particular. In Locke's estimation, if the suggestion
that liberalism entails a right of toleration of atheism isnt exactly a
self-contradiction, it will do until the real thing comes along; for the
existence of any rights at all presupposes the falsity of atheism.

Whatever one thinks of their ultimate defensibility, Lockes position
does at least arguably form a coherent and systematic whole; and, more
to the present point, it quite obviously is not, and does not pretend to
be, consistent with any claim to neutrality between all moral and
religious worldviews.

This commitment to a particular moral view of the world was typical of
the early classical liberals. Adam Smith (1723-1790) favored modern
liberal capitalist society precisely because of what he took to be its
moral advantages: it provided an unprecedented degree of material
well-being for the masses, and it promoted such bourgeois virtues as
sobriety, moderation, and diligence. Moreover, because in Smith's view
capitalist society failed to promote certain other virtues (namely
martial and aristocratic ones), and even tended positively to undermine
some of them (insofar as consumerism and the hyper-specialization
entailed by the division of labor oriented mens minds away from
learning), there was an urgent need for government to foster
institutions outside the market -- a professional military and publicly
financed education, for example -- that would make up for its
deficiencies.

It ought not to be supposed that the moralism of these early classical
liberals was merely an artifact of their having written in a less
secularist age. Indeed, one finds many of the same themes in their
recent successors. F.A. Hayek (1899-1992) was perhaps the foremost
champion of the free society and the market economy in the 20th century.
He was also firmly committed to the proposition that market society has
certain moral presuppositions that can only be preserved through the
power of social stigma. In his later work especially, he made it clear
that these presuppositions concern the sanctity of property and of the
family, protected by traditional moral rules which restrain our natural
impulses and tell us that you must neither wish to possess any woman you
see, nor wish to possess any material goods you see.

Among the benefits of religious belief in Hayek's view is its
strengthening [of] respect for marriage, its enforcement of stricter
observance of rules of sexual morality among both married and unmarried,
and its creation of a socially beneficial taboo against the taking of
another's property. Indeed, though he was personally an agnostic, Hayek
held that the value of religion for shoring up the moral presuppositions
of a free society cannot be overestimated:

'We owe it partly to mystical and religious beliefs, and, I believe,
particularly to the main monotheistic ones, that beneficial traditions
have been preserved and transmitted If we bear these things in mind, we
can better understand and appreciate those clerics who are said to have
become somewhat sceptical of the validity of some of their teachings and
who yet continued to teach them because they feared that a loss of faith
would lead to a decline in morals. No doubt they were right.'

For these reasons, Hayek, though like Locke a great defender of the
classical liberal belief in toleration of diverse moral and religious
points of view, also held that such toleration must have its limits if a
free society is to maintain itself, as the following passages
illustrate:

'I doubt whether any moral rule could be preserved without the exclusion
of those who regularly infringe it from decent company or even without
people not allowing their children to mix with those who have bad
manners. It is by the separation of groups and their distinctive
principles of admission to them that sanctions of moral behavior
operate.'

It is not by conceding a right to equal concern and respect to those who
break the code that civilization is maintained. Nor can we, for the
purpose of maintaining our society, accept all moral beliefs which are
held with equal conviction as morally legitimate, and recognize a right
to blood feud or infanticide or even theft, or any other moral beliefs
contrary to those on which the working of our society rests. For the
science of anthropology, all cultures or morals may be equally good, but
we maintain our society by treating others as less so:

'Morals must be restraints on complete freedom, they must determine what
is permissible and what not. [T]he difficulties begin when we ask
whether tolerance requires that we permit in our community the
observance of a wholly different system of morals, even if a person does
so entirely consistently and conscientiously. I am afraid I rather doubt
whether we can tolerate a wholly different system of morals within our
community, although it is no concern of ours what moral rules some other
community obeys internally. I am afraid that there must be limits even
to tolerance.'

It is significant that Hayek's view was as conservative and moralistic
as it was despite its not being, like Locke's view, based on theological
premises or even on the notion of natural rights. And as might be
expected, contemporary natural rights theories have a tendency to imply
no less conservative a moralism. To be sure, Robert Nozick (1938-2002),
the most influential proponent of natural rights libertarianism in
recent political philosophy, was no conservative, and was also a
proponent of the idea that libertarianism is neutral between moral and
religious worldviews. Indeed, given that his predecessors included
people like Locke, Smith, and Hayek, Nozick might even have the
distinction of being the first major classical liberal or libertarian
theorist to suggest such a thing. The trouble is, Nozick is also
notoriously unclear about where natural rights, and in particular the
right of self-ownership, come from. But surely what we take to be the
source of rights cannot fail to imply, as it does in Locke, a specific
moral view of the world. So if Nozick's position seems to allow for
neutrality between all worldviews, this is arguably precisely because he
is so vague about the grounds of natural rights.

The history of recent libertarian theorizing about natural rights only
confirms this suspicion, in my view. From the work of Ayn Rand
(1905-1982) onward, such theorizing has been dominated by
Aristotelianism, and in particular by some version or other of the idea
that natural rights are ultimately to be grounded in the sort of natural
end or purpose that Aristotle held all human beings to have. Now
sometimes libertarian theorists try to cash out the idea of a natural
end in only the thinnest of terms -- in Rand's case, in terms of the
need to survive as a rational being. Notoriously, however, such an
approach fails plausibly to yield a distinctively libertarian conception
of rights: one might need some sort of rights in order to survive, but
it is hard to see why one would need the extremely strong rights to
liberty and private property (rights strong enough to rule out an
egalitarian redistribution of wealth, say) libertarians want to affirm.
So to make this sort of attempt to justify a libertarian conception of
natural rights work, the libertarian needs to appeal to a much thicker
conception of the natural end or purpose human beings have. In that
case, though, it is very hard to see how anyone committed to this sort
of approach can consistently avoid committing himself also to the very
conservative moral views Aristotelian natural end theories are usually
thought to entail, especially when worked out systematically after the
manner of St. Thomas Aquinas and other natural law theorists.

So far my examples have all been cases where the failure of
libertarianism to be neutral between all the moral and religious
worldviews that exist within a modern pluralistic society involves a
bias in favor of decidedly conservative points of view. Do I mean to
imply, then, that all versions of libertarianism entail moral
conservatism? By no means. Some versions in fact entail exactly the
opposite; and in this very different way, they too fail to be neutral
between moral and religious points of view.

Many libertarian theorists eschew any suggestion that rights are
natural, and with it any appeal to God or human nature as the source of
rights. They take our rights to be in some way artificial historically
contingent conventions, say, or the products of some kind of social
contract. The latter approach is an application to the defense of
libertarianism of a view in moral theory sometimes called
contractarianism, which holds that moral obligations in general and
rights in particular can only be grounded in a kind of implicit
agreement between all the members of society. Contrary to Locke, who
held that our rights, being natural, pre-exist and put absolute
conditions on any contract that can be made between human beings, the
contractarian view is that rights only come into existence after, and as
a result of, a social contract, and that their content is determined by
the details of the contract. Libertarian contractarians argue that the
details of such a social contract, when rightly understood, will be seen
to entail libertarianism.

Now since any such contract can only ever be purely hypothetical (the
claim is not that we literally have ever made or could make such an
agreement), the contractarian approach raises all sorts of philosophical
questions. Moreover, the claim that the details of the contract would
favor libertarianism is by no means uncontroversial. (The
non-libertarian Rawls, after all, also appeals to a kind of social
contract theory.) But since the libertarian social contract theorist
typically denies that there is any robust conception of human nature
which can plausibly determine the content of morality, and typically
characterizes what he regards as a rational party to the social contract
as refusing to agree to any rule that he does not personally see as in
his self-interest (where his self-interest is typically defined in terms
of whatever desires or preferences he actually happens to have), it is
easy to see how conservative moral views are going to be ruled out as
indefensible from a contractarian point of view: not all parties to the
social contract will agree to them, and so they cannot be regarded as
morally binding.

Utilitarianism is another moral theory libertarians have sometimes
appealed to in defense of their position. This is, to oversimplify, the
view that what is morally required is whatever promotes the best
consequences, where this is usually understood to entail maximizing the
satisfaction of individual desires or preferences. Here too, whether
either utilitarianism as a general moral philosophy or the strategy of
using it to defend libertarianism in particular is defensible are
matters of great controversy. But just as utilitarianism in general
tends to be radically unconservative (as it is in the work of Peter
Singer, perhaps the best known contemporary utilitarian) so too is it
when applied to a defense of libertarianism. For any view that appeals
merely to what people happen in fact to desire or prefer without asking,
after the fashion of Aristotelianism or natural law theory, what desires
or preferences we ought to have given our nature is bound not to sit
well with the conservative moralist's tendency to see certain kinds of
desires and preferences as intrinsically disordered and immoral, so that
there can be no question of maximizing their satisfaction.

Of course, the expression utilitarian is sometimes used by libertarians
in a much looser way, to refer, not to utilitarianism as a general moral
philosophy, but merely to a defense of libertarianism which emphasizes
certain practical economic benefits of the free market, such as its
ability to generate wealth and technological innovation. Now by itself,
this sort of economic approach doesn't count as a complete defense of
libertarianism, since many egalitarian liberals and non-libertarian
conservatives would acknowledge these benefits of the market but deny
that such considerations address all their concerns, such as moral ones.
But there is a tendency among some economics-oriented defenders of
libertarianism to go well beyond this modest appeal to what are
generally recognized to be economic considerations -- a tendency to try
to analyze all human behavior and social institutions in economic terms,
and thereby to reduce all considerations to purely economic ones. At its
most extreme, the results are artifacts like Richard Posner's book 'Sex
and Reason', which attempts to account for all human sexual behavior in
terms of perceived costs and benefits.

Now many of those committed to the sorts of unconservative versions of
libertarianism Ive just described would insist that their position
really is neutral between moral worldviews, since they would not
advocate keeping those with conservative sensibilities from living in
accordance with their views or expressing them in public. But this
misses the point. For the versions of libertarianism described in the
last section do not treat conservative views as truly moral views at
all; they treat them instead as mere prejudices: at best matters of
taste, like one's preference for this or that flavor of ice cream, and
at worst rank superstitions that pose a constant danger of leading those
holding them to try to restrict the freedoms of those practicing
non-traditional lifestyles. Libertarians of the contractarian,
utilitarian, or economistic bent must therefore treat the conservative
the way the egalitarian liberal treats the racist, i.e., as someone who
can be permitted to hold and practice his views, but only provided he
and his views are widely regarded as of the crackpot variety. Just as
the Lockean, Smithian, Hayekian, and Aristotelian versions of
libertarianism entail a social marginalization of those who flout
bourgeois moral standards, so too do these unconservative versions of
libertarianism entail a social marginalization of those who defend
bourgeois moral standards. Neither kind of libertarianism is truly
neutral between moral worldviews.

There are two dramatic consequences of this difference between these
kinds of libertarianism. The first is that a society self-consciously
guided by principles of the Lockean, Smithian, Hayekian, or Aristotelian
sort will, obviously, be a society of a generally conservative
character, while a society self-consciously guided by principles of a
contractarian, utilitarian, or economistic sort will, equally obviously,
be a society of a generally anti-conservative character. The point is
not that the former sort of society will explicitly outlaw bohemian
behavior or that the latter will explicitly outlaw conservative
behavior. The point is rather that the former sort of society is bound
to be one in which the bohemian is going to feel out of place, while the
latter is one in which the conservative is going to feel out of place.
In either case, there will of course be enclaves here and there where
the outsider will find those of like mind. But someone is inevitably
going to get pushed into the cultural catacombs. In no case is a
libertarian society going to be genuinely neutral between all the points
of view represented within it.

The second dramatic consequence is that there are also bound to be
differences in the public policy recommendations made by the different
versions of libertarianism. Take, for example, the issue of abortion.
Those whose libertarianism is grounded in Lockean, Aristotelian, or
Hayekian thinking are far more likely to take a conservative line on the
matter. To be sure, there are plenty of pro-choice libertarians
influenced by Hayek. But by far most of these libertarians are
(certainly in my experience anyway) inclined to accept Hayek's economic
views while soft-pedaling or even dismissing the Burkean traditionalist
foundations he gave for his overall social theory. Those who endorse the
latter, however, are going to be hard-pressed not to be at least
suspicious of the standard moral and legal arguments offered in defense
of abortion. Even more clearly, libertarians of a Lockean or
Aristotelian-natural law bent are going to have strong grounds for
regarding abortion as no less a violation of individual rights than is
the murder of a man, woman, or child: a fetus is no less God's property
than is a child or adult; and on the standard Aristotelian-natural law
view, the fetus is fully human not a potential human being, but rather a
human being which hasn't yet fulfilled all its potentials and thus has
all the rights that any other human being has.

By contrast, libertarians influenced by contractarianism are very
unlikely to oppose abortion, because fetuses cannot plausibly be counted
as parties to the social contract that could provide the only grounds
for a prohibition on killing them. Utilitarianism and economism too
would provide no plausible grounds for a prohibition on abortion, since
fetuses would seem to have no preferences or desires which could be
factored into our calculations of how best to maximize the satisfaction
of such preferences or desires.

There are also bound to be differences over the question of same-sex
marriage. From a natural rights perspective, whether Lockean or
Aristotelian, it is hard to see how the demand for a right to same-sex
marriage can be justified. For if there is a natural right to marriage,
then marriage must be a natural institution; and the standard defense of
marriage as a natural institution appeals to the idea that it is has a
natural function, namely procreation, which entails in turn that it is
inherently heterosexual. Nor can a Hayekian analysis of social
institutions fail to imply anything but skepticism about the case for
same-sex marriage. Hayek's position was that traditional moral rules,
especially when connected to institutions as fundamental as the family
and found nearly universally in human cultures, should be tampered with
only with the most extreme caution. The burden of proof is always on the
innovator rather than the traditionalist, whether or not the
traditionalist can justify his conservatism to the innovators
satisfaction; and change can be justified only by showing that the rule
the innovator wants to abandon is in outright contradiction to some
other fundamental traditional rule. But that there is any contradiction
in this case is simply implausible, especially when one considers the
traditional natural law understanding of marriage sketched above.

On the other hand, it is easy to see how contractarianism,
utilitarianism, and economism might be thought to justify same-sex
marriage. If the actual desires or preferences of individuals are all
that matter, and some of those individuals desire or prefer to set up a
partnership with someone of the same sex and call it marriage, then
there can be no moral objection to their doing so.

If these different versions of libertarianism differ so radically in
terms of their justifying grounds and implications, why are they usually
regarded as variations of the same doctrine? And why are they so
commonly held to be neutral between various moral and religious
worldviews if, as I have tried to show, they clearly are not? The answer
to both questions, I think, is that all these versions of libertarianism
are often thought, erroneously, to be committed fundamentally to the
value of freedom: they are versions of libertarianism, after all, so
liberty or freedom would seem to be their common core, and this might
seem to include the freedom of every person to follow whatever moral or
religious view he likes. But in fact none of these doctrines takes
liberty or freedom to be fundamental. What is taken to be fundamental is
rather natural rights, or tradition, or a social contract, or utility,
or efficiency; freedom falls out only as a consequence of the
libertarians more basic commitment to one of these other values, and the
content of that freedom differs radically depending on precisely which
of these fundamental values he is committed to. For the
Aristotelian-natural law theorist, freedom includes not only freedom
from excessive state power, but also freedom from those moral vices
which prevent the realization of our natural end; for the contractarian
or utilitarian, however, freedom may well include freedom from the very
concepts of moral vice and natural ends. Freedom would also entail for
the latter the right to commit suicide, while for the Lockean, there can
be no such right, since suicide would itself violate the rights of the
God who created and owns us.

This difference in the understanding of freedom has its parallel in a
difference in what we might call the tone in which various libertarians
assert the right of self-ownership. In the mouth of some libertarians,
what self-ownership is fundamentally about is something like this: Other
human beings have an intrinsic dignity and moral value, and this entails
a duty on my part not to use them as means to my own ends; I therefore
have no right to the fruits of another man's labor. In the mouths of
other libertarians, what it means is, at bottom, rather this: I can do
whatever what I want to do, as long as I let everyone else do what they
want to do too; there are no grounds for preventing any of us from
doing, in general, what we want to do. The first view expresses an
attitude of deference, the second an attitude of self-assertion; the
first reflects a commitment to strong moral realism and a rich
conception of human nature, the second a thin conception of human nature
and a tendency toward moral minimalism or even moral skepticism. And the
first, I would submit, is more characteristic of libertarians of a
Lockean, Hayekian, or Aristotelian bent, while the latter is more
typical of libertarians influenced by contractarianism, utilitarianism,
or economism.

It is sometimes said that contemporary conservatism is an uneasy
alliance between libertarians and traditionalists, and that this
alliance is destined eventually to collapse due to the inherent conflict
between the two philosophies. But it can with equal or even greater
plausibility be argued that it is in fact contemporary libertarianism
which comprises an uneasy alliance, an association between incompatible
factions committed to very different conceptions of freedom. **The
trouble with libertarianism is that many of its adherents have for too
long labored under the illusion that things are otherwise, that their
creed is a single unified political philosophy that does not, and need
not, take a stand on the most contentious moral issues dividing
contemporary society.** This has led to confusion both at the level of
theory and at the level of policy. Libertarians need to get clear about
exactly what they believe and why. And when they do, they might find
that their particular version of libertarianism commits them or ought to
commit them to regard as rivals those they might once have considered
allies.

Edward Feser (edwardfeser at hotmail.com) is the author of On Nozick
(Wadsworth, 2003).

--

Paul W Harrison, TESL

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program