[extropy-chat] Article: Who would not seize the chance to live to be 150?

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 23:19:27 UTC 2006

On 2/9/06, Keith M. Elis <zarathustra_winced at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What evidence is there that the average human lifespan in the developed
> world is about to suddenly increase at a rate faster than we
> are experiencing currently?

I expect we are going to see things begin to move quickly in the next decade
(2010-2020).  If resveratrol supplementation is as good as the studies
suggest and you confined yourself to people in say their 30's to 50's who
are taking it as a supplement (so it could add 10-20+% to currently expected
longevities) then you could rake in the bucks.

The question is whether you need a significant amount of capital to start a
company based on these assumptions this and whether you could convince a
capital source it was a good risk.

This gets into a very complex discussion about interactions between
singularity trends and lifespan extension research "deliverables".  I
suspect there are very few people who understand the subtleties of these
topics sufficiently well to allow you to strike a reasonable balance between
undercutting the competition and still being relatively conservative with
respect to avoiding problems if the deliverables don't arrive when you
anticipated they would.

Also, do you have a pointer to what a 1035 exchange is?

Thanks,
Robert