[extropy-chat] thought space map on cartoons

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 07:40:19 UTC 2006

We = humanity.

> If = the military in action in Iraq, then yes,
> they are probably convinced...

I was not referring to military action in Iraq but rather
a much more generalized struggle that involves the middle
east and Europe.  The Iraq situation seems to be winding
down just as the cartoon jihad is winding up.

> Me, no. I'm not convinced.
>
> I guess by 'events of this week' you mean the overreaction to the
> cartoons? There is a good discussion about that here:
>
> http://cosmicvariance.com/2006/02/09/cartoons/
>
> Amara

Thanks Amara, this is a good and informative site.

For the sake of argument, let us make a thought space
map.  Form four quadrants by asking oneself two questions:

A.  Were the Danish newspapers right to publish the cartoons?
B.  Were the protesters right to react as they have?

Position 1: no, no.  This is the peacemaker position, Bush,
Blair, some other world leaders are going this route.

Position 2: no, yes.  Presumably the protesters point of
view.

Position 3: yes, no.  Most journalists will go here, along
with many westerners who are not 1s.

Position 4:  Yes, yes.  If both were right, the proponents
of this view must acknowledge that this will lead to conflict
which could tear apart societies and possibly lead to world
war 4.

I recognize there are plenty of ways to complicate the
question, but let us start with this simplified thought
space map.  Can we make any generalizations?  Note that
I am not asking about legality: the Danish government does
not control the press, so from a government point of view
the cartoons were legal whereas the protests, at least the
violent ones, were not.

I am asking from the moral and ethical point of view,
which quadrant would one put oneself, and why?  What
do you see as the long term consequences of your quadrant,
and what of the other three.  Handle this topic with
care please.

I will offer my own reasoning on this, but I want
to see others' thoughts.