[extropy-chat] Superintelligence

ben benboc at lineone.net
Wed Feb 15 20:06:01 UTC 2006

Mikhail John wrote:

<snip>

> Far more likely is an uncaring AI, one that either ignores us as it
> goes about it's business or one that uses humanity as we would a tool
> for it's own inscrutable purposes. Neither would be a bad fate,
> really. No sense in breaking your own tools, and those that use them
> well usually treat them well. As for being ignored, well, it doesn't
> affect us. No affect, no reason to worry. If we have to we can always
> make another one.

<snip>

I think the point is, if an AI is 'uncaring' of us, there is a great
deal to worry about.

'Uncaring' as in taking no notice of the insignificant biosphere as it
incidentally destroys it in the process of stripping the earth of it's
mantle or boiling the oceans or any number of other things, as it goes
about it's own incomprehensible business.

Ignoring somebody doesn't always mean having no effect on them.

ben