[extropy-chat] Cults/drugs

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 20:14:40 UTC 2006

--- BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> That is a very silly, smart-alec statement unworthy
> of you, Dirk.
>
> Either,
>
> 1) You have very little knowledge of the way cult
> persuaders work and
> the techniques they use. (Which I find hard to
> believe), or,
>
> 2) You are intent on defending the cult persuaders
> techniques by
> equating them with a group of people having a
> discussion.
> (Which is a ridiculous comparison. Naive people
> meeting these cult
> persuaders for the first time are like children in
> the lions den).
>
> 3) Or maybe it was just a cynical remark that
> appealed to you at the time.

Actually there is a another possibility:

4) Dirk realizes that cult persuasion techniques are
the same ones that get people to join ANY organization
from the military to the PTA. The techniques
themselves are employed separately for such things as
fraternity initiations, soliciting charitable
donations, and prospective sales. So apparently the
difference between cult persuasion and girl scout
recruitment is simply the nature of the organization
one is being persuaded to join. Therefore if you are
favorably disposed toward the military, you could
truthfully say that U.S. Marine Corp bootcamp is
"persuading" its recruits to be good soldiers, but if
you don't, you could make a very strong case that it
is instead "brainwashing" them.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Thereupon, the Soul of Mother Earth bewailed, Should I accept the support of a feeble man and listen to his words? In fact I desired the aid of a strong and mighty king. When shall such a person arise and bring strong-handed succor to me?" -Yasna 29, verse 9

"Now I am light, now I am flying, now I see myself beneath myself, now a God dances through me." - St. Nietzsche