[extropy-chat] CBS NEWS: Freezing Their Assets (Cryonics)

Joseph Bloch transhumanist at goldenfuture.net
Fri Feb 17 02:26:13 UTC 2006

Wow... I'm a member of the American Plutocracy???

I want my t-shirt, dagnabbit!

Seriously, this is a terrible article; nothing more than a retread of
the various stereotypes surrounding cryonics and those who sign up for
it. Apparently because I think that although cryonics may be an
incredible long-shot, the cost is well worth the potential benefit, I'm
Rich Uncle Pennybags oppressing the downtrodden masses. Let's see them
write a similarly snyde article decrying all the millions that are
wasted at Starbucks coffee that could otherwise be spent saving baby
seals or some crap.

I am certainly not in any position to put "a couple of million bucks"
into a trust fund, and I certainly did not sign up for cryonics as a
lark because I got tired of lighting my cigars with $100 bills. Then
again, I note that the article originally comes from The Nation magazine
(http://www.thenation.com), so I am not all that surprised at its
ridiculous Annalee Newitz-esque tone.

Joseph