[extropy-chat] META: Cults, Scientology and UFOs

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:38:41 UTC 2006

On 2/17/06, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:

> List members:
>
> Please take posts on these topics off list. Too many list members these
> topics annoying and abusive to the level of intelligence and emotional
> well-being of extropy and transhumanists who strive to create a better
> future for humanity.
>
> Thank you for paying attention to and adding to the quality of this list
> and thinking before your post.

No problem.
However, there are lessons to be learned from successful cults.
If ExI had the power and resources of Scientology or the Unification Church
things would be looking up.
It may only be a matter of time before Transhumanism spawns such a
successful cult itself. Raelianism is close, but too outdated to make the
jump IMO.

It's worth keeping your eyes open. Transhumanism, in its incarnation as an
imminent apocalyptic meme promising eternal life and heaven on Earth, has
every ingredient necessary, and is more firmly based in modern science than
any cult/religion I can think of. I'm almost tempted...

Dirk