[extropy-chat] Transhumanism as Religion

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 10:53:05 UTC 2006

--- Keith Henson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
> Google Results 1 - 10 of about 12,200 for sex drugs
> cults "Keith Henson"
>
> Take the first link.

Alright, Keith. I have read your paper and understand
it. So then the question I have for you is: is it
necessary to trigger the capture-bonding instinct in
people to give them a rewarding cult experience? I do
not mind triggering attention-reward serotonin
pathways in people as attention, social acceptance,
and a sense of belonging are all necessary to give a
cult member their money's worth. But inducing
Stockholme syndrome in people seems unnecessarily
ruthless and if it can be avoided and still make for a
successful religion, I think it should.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science [...] Believing as I do that man in the distant future will be a far more perfect creature than he now is, it is an intolerable thought that he and all other sentient beings are doomed to complete annihilation after such long-continued slow progress"
- St. Darwin