[extropy-chat] Transhumanism as Religion

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sat Feb 18 16:49:16 UTC 2006

At 11:55 PM 2/17/2006, S. wrote:

>On Feb 17, 2006, at 12:25 PM, The Avantguardian wrote:
>
> > Allow me to tempt you further. I'll see your heaven on
> > Earth and raise you a diaspora across the stars. I
> > have been thinking much along these lines for quite
> > some time. Transhumanism is already viewed by the
> > masses as some kind of cult. I don't see what there
> > would be to lose. I can think of much to gain. Think
> > about the potential. A cult based upon empiricism,
> > philosophy, and rational optimism where we canonize
> > the likes of Plato, Darwin, Neitszche, and Einstein. A
> > religion that actually imparted immeninently useful
> > truths upon the faithful that were of consequence in
> > the HERE AND NOW and not some illusory afterlife.

It is unfortunate that society places value on religion rather than philosophy

>I have thought, as you know, along similar lines often enough.
>Humans have all of this spiritual/mystical leaning wiring that is
>some of the most accessible and motivational available.  It might be
>necessary and prudent to avail ourselves of these aspects of reality
>in order to maximize achieving our goals.  Of course that breaks down
>if these aspects contain such deep inherent problems that they self-
>sabotage what we hope to achieve.

Good points.

> > A seamless blending of ancient wisdom from around the
> > world and cutting edge science. After a life time of
> > scientific enquiry and spiritual seeking, I literally
> > have faith in the potential for humanity to transcend
> > its limitations.
>
>Sure.  But the "seamless" bit seem nearly impossible to achieve.
>There is too much nonsensical baggage that has adhered to "ancient
>wisdom".

Even in the arts where we try to achieve seamless results; it is virtually
impossible.  There is always a space in-and-between the various elements.

> > And why should we not? We alone of
> > amongst the creatures of the world have any concept of
> > the scope of this vast universe and how little of it
> > we have explored. Why would we be able to discern it
> > at all, if we were not meant to explore it?
>
>Pointless speculation that assumes some higher power whose permission
>we need to seek or be assured of.  Insidious isn't it?

Only if that "higher power" is our voice of reason.

> > Whether the gods created us in their image or we
> > created them in ours, we are nonetheless CREATORS. Why
> > should we not then strive to create a future that is
> > to our liking and embrace that future?
>
>Of course we should or not "should" but can and must to reach our
>maximum potential.  Yes I am assuming that is a Good Thing.
>
> > Unless and
> > until Fermi's Great Silence is unequivocally broken,
> > then we alone are the avatars of the sentient living
> > universe. It is time we started acting like the
> > godlings we are. To paraphrase the Buddha, "In all of
> > heaven and earth, I alone am holy."
>
>Hmm.  I am all for taking ourselves seriously but "holy"?   I got out
>of that sort of thinking/feeling and I am not sure I see any good
>reason to go back.  I found it dangerous to my rationality and sanity.

As much as I honor Buddha and the followers, I agree.

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist - Designer
Future Studies, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
Honorary Vice-Chair, <http://transhumanism.org/>World Transhumanist
Association
Senior Associate, <http://foresight.org/>Foresight Institute
Advisor, <http://alcor.org/>Alcor Life Extension Foundation

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective.
Buckminster Fuller